Admin

Report 16/2/17

Post by Nicole Penfold » Fri Feb 17, 2017 11:54 am

Current discharge: 1622 ML per day.
Water level 15/02/17: 74.9 %
Current inflow: 312 ML per day.
Water level 08/02/17: 77 %
Water visibility: 2 metres

Forecast Weather: warming up through the week reaching 36 on Friday before cooling off to 28 on Saturday & 24 on Sunday with light winds. Overnight low of 11 degrees C for Sunday morning. No rain before Monday.

Full Moon = 11th Feb New Moon = 27th Feb Water Temperature: 26 deg C

Murray Cod: The fishing reports went a bit quiet last weekend given the heat & wind experienced by most of NSW. Thankfully Sunday cooled off to around 32 degrees. I noticed a few boats out taking advantage of the full moon and clear skies however did not receive any reports of a big one being caught. There were a few fish caught over 70cm and still plenty of smaller ones about. The water releases are beginning to slow but usually irrigation releases finish up in March. A big high is settling over us this week and the weather looks much more favourable for a fish this weekend.

Yellow Belly: I had no luck this week on the yellows. I did notice the dirty water or thermocline on the sounder is now deeper so maybe the fish have also gone deeper. The consensus from the bait fisherman was generally not good with a lot of trees being covered to get a few fish. Peter & crew, from Cootamundra, managed 10 fish around Wade Island on Friday using frozen shrimp but struck out on Saturday with the wind, heat and ski traffic making conditions a bit tough. Trolled lures are accounting for a few fish but time of day will affect the catch rate. The lure guys can switch to dropping gulp grubs or similar vertically through the timber as the fish head deeper. Shrimp are remaining scarce this year so it would be wise to bring some yabbies or source your shrimp before arriving.

Redfin: Are prolific this year and seem to be everywhere. Bait fishing, lure casting or trolling will catch you a redfin or 10. Most of the fish are under 200 mm. Bait fishing will be a bit slow as you will be most of the time rebaiting. Try a small plastic on light gear to have a bit of fun. Great for the kids if you can pick up a school.

Park News: The yellow belly championships have been cancelled for 2017. Anyone with April bookings can obtain a refund by giving the office a call.

The accommodation is all booked this weekend but we still have camping on powered and unpowered sites.
Caution Cathedral Rock is just under the water & I would expect it to be close to the surface by the weekend. The rock is about 20 to 30 metres on the Western (dam Wall Side) of the buoy.

Dean Brind
Manager IWHP Burrinjuck Waters
Ph: 02 62278114
manager@burrinjuckwaters.com.au
http://www.inlandwaters.com.au
Burrinjuck.jpg