Weekly Report 08/01/14

Post by Nicole Penfold » Wed Jan 08, 2014 5:37 pm

Rain last 7 days: 0 mm
Water level current: 52.6 %
Water level: 26/12/13 55.7 %
Current discharge: 3280 ML per day.
Current inflow: 0.0 ML per day.
Water visibility: up to 2.5 metres in main basin
Forecast Weather: No rain on the horizon. Max temp of 36 degrees for the weekend with no wind.
Full Moon = Jan 16th, New Moon = Jan 31st
Water Temperature: 23 - 25 deg

Murray Cod

There have been more windy days than not during the last 2 weeks. The cod have gone off the bite somewhat since Christmas. There have been the odd smaller fish up to 70 cm being caught, usually after a lot of casting or trolling. Spinnerbaits have been the main method used for the guys opting to cast lures. Bigger hardbodies and spinnerbaits are being trolled. I was picking up cod on my yellowbelly gear in the last report but have not managed a cod since then.

Yellow Belly
These fish have come on the bite since Christmas. Even in the windy conditions there have been plenty caught. At scrubby the bait fishermen have been targeting the trees in the deeper water with shrimp or worms, with the yellows holding in the top 7 metres. I also spoke to a fisherman yesterday who has been targeting the same trees with soft plastics, picking up 30 yellows between 2 boats on Monday, it was very windy. I have stuck with the Mask Vibes targeting rocky points, particularly those with some trees showing, and have been catching a few fish each time I have been out.

Plenty of shrimp are being caught at the moment with 20 per trap common. There are still some big fish about. I regularly pick up fish over 50 cm with a couple of reports over 60 cm in the last week also. Trolling Stucky’s or Jackalls is a good option. Not hearing of too much success with spinnerbaits on the yellows.

Redfin
I am starting to catch a lot more myself and I tend to find them in patches as I am casting. I found a school on Tuesday afternoon that were hitting my Mask Vibe on every cast. I was in 10 metres of water with the fish holding near the bottom, I had 9 in the boat, 4 fish were around 32 cm, when a strong wind came up out of the east and that was that. Plenty of fish are being caught on the troll as is usual. Often the red fin will take on a lure as big as themselves. Casting small plastics, lipless crankbaits, divers or metal blades all work well once you locate a school.

Trout
No reports this week.

Silver Perch
I have heard that there has been some caught this week. No details.

Carp
Heaps being caught, worms corn.

Park News
Live music starts 7.30 pm on the 26th January with Clint Creighton and his partner Julie performing till 10 pm. This will be at the undercover area at Lawler’s, near the main boat ramp.

Dean Brind
Manager Burrinjuck Waters State Park