Post by Tony Zann » Fri May 10, 2013 12:56 pm

Lake Report 09/05/13
Rain last 7 days: 0
Water level current: 37.6 %
Water level: 01/05/13 37.6%
Current discharge: 566 ML per day.
Current inflow: 316 ML per day.
Water visibility: up to 1.5m
Forecast Weather: Mostly sunny for the remainder of the week & weekend. Temperature down to 7° with a maximum of 24° for the weekend with light winds.
New Moon May 10, Full Moon May 25. Water temperature 18°-20°
Murray cod: The catch rates have remained constant over the last few weeks. Trolling big spinnerbaits and hardbodies is still the go although the good old Stuckey lure has accounted for a few fish as well. I managed a very nice 86cm fish casting for redfin on a Mask Vibe with very light gear. I also picked up a smaller cod in the same spot. It is definitely worth a cast or troll around in the deeper water if you find a school of redfin.
Yellowbelly: The catch rate has slowed down somewhat but I haven’t seen as many boats out on the water, either. I am getting good reports from the Scrubby area with the bait fishers still doing very well on shrimp & worms. There were some good reports also from the lure fishers, mainly trolling lures. I have managed a few yellows this week while casting, so don’t discount this method. I was picking fish up out in 10m of water near the bottom with the lift & drop method. The top of Wade Island and the mouth of the Goodradigbee have also been popular areas. Best fishing time is while the sun is still on the water; goes very quiet after 4pm.
Redfin: Not many reports this week but I have visited a couple of my usual haunts and have picked up around 60 for the week. Most have been over 30cm. I have been fishing the bottom with small plastics or Mask Vibes retrieved slowly. No luck at all with the other crankbaits that make noise. Worms are also working very well. Best time is before 4pm with a total shut-down happening after that.
Trout: No reports this week.
Silver Perch: No reports
Carp: As usual, carp are still being caught throughout the dam with worms and corn favourite.
Park News: Happy Mother’s day for Sunday, the sun will be shining and what better place to bring Mum for a day visit, BBQ lunch or a meal from the local shop and enjoy the surroundings and local wildlife!
Dean Brind
Manager, Burrinjuck Waters State Park