318 Shakespeare Street
Mackay, QLD
Ph: (07) 4957 2145
www.tackleworldmackay.com.au
subeditor
Admin

Report 5/2/16

Post by subeditor » Fri Feb 05, 2016 3:01 pm

Unfortunately over the past couple of weeks I have been laid up and resting trying to get rid of back pain, and here I am again looking forward and not letting the pain interfere from now on. The fishing over the past weeks has been limited as the weather has affected the fishing big time. And this week with all the storms around the fisherman were not willing to risk going out.
On the estuaries side of the fishing scene the Barramundi season is now open again and everyone is looking forward to this year season with the introduction of the net free areas. I know the season has just opened but already there have been some reports coming in of some good Barramundi being landed. The estuaries have also been producing some good catches of good size mud crabs in Coorooman and Corio Bay. There are plenty of crabbers getting their bag limits in a couple of tides, and then there are still the low life out there checking others pots and stealing the crabs.
I have crabbers coming in saying that they are now setting Go Pro cameras up and they are going to hand the evidence over to the Fisheries, just watch this space for the update.
Now the beach fishing has been affected by the weather as well, but those that tried their luck and went fishing were certainly rewarded for their efforts. There have been plenty of good whiting and trevally caught along all the beaches, with Kinka beach proving to be the beat over the past weeks.

Coucom’s Crabpots and fishing gear tips:
Areas like Barren and Outer rock and the shoals will off the menu this week and this weekend, I would suggest fishing the estuaries for the barra and king salmon. Also while fishing don’t forget the crabpots and hopefully you will come home with a feed of crabs also.
This weekend the tides are big as we enter the New moon, you will have to fish the side creeks and stay out of the main channel. Use live mullet or herring for the king and barra and use prawns and yabby’s for the whiting and bream. I would try either Coorooman or Corio Bay, and I know there will be a few good barra caught at the Causeway Lake and also Ross Creek.
Beach fishing will be limited to a couple of beaches
Al’s tip of the week: Remember to check the crabs are full before taking them
Any photos or information about fishing that you feel others need to know about it can be dropped in or email them to coucomscrabpots@gmail.com we are also on face book at Coucom crabpots look us up there as well.

Until next week

Alan C

Your local tackle shop in Yeppoon.